Re: gEDA-user: Tragesym ROCKS

On May 17, 2006, at 1:16 PM, Werner Hoch wrote:
   Yes.  I was *almost* set up to use Tragesym (it took quite a
while...ever try to get gnumeric built on anything other than Linux
on a PeeCee?), then DJ released djboxsym and I was generating symbols
literally in minutes.  I believe it is the single largest usability
enhancement to come along for gschem in a very long time.

Using gnumeric is just an easier way to edit table-like data. Every other spread sheet program can be used too. I usually just use a text editor.

For large symbols with more than 64 pins a spread sheet program may be
faster, especially if you can copy some of the labels out of a
datasheet.

Ahh ok. I wasn't complaining about tragesym, I was complaining about gnumeric. :-)

For those who use OOo I've created a template too. (needs a small change
of tragesym which is in cvs now.)

Regarding gnumeric in the docs: I'll update it soon. I promise ;-).

Excellent! Anything that makes generating new symbols easier is a huge win for gschem. I know a few people who would use it if it weren't for its lack of the symbols they need, because manual symbol creation is so unbelievably tedious. This, of course, isn't gschem's fault per se, in this world of a gazillion manufacturers each making a gazillion different components..

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Cape Coral, FL