Re: gEDA-user: Another neat project using gEDA

Mark Rages wrote:

> See the README:
> http://vivara.net/software/pstoedit_additions/README

The hint for the -ssp switch is useful.

> I think the pstoedit maintainer changed it though.

I can confirm that the version currently distributed with
Debian/testing, that it does "our" pcb format.

pstoedit: version 3.44 / DLL interface 108 (build Mar 11 2006 - release
build - g++ 4.0.3 20060304 (prerelease) (Debian 4.0.2-10))

> A more troubling caveat, I got a bug report that it isn't working a
> few months ago and never looked into it.  Please report positive /
> negative experiences to me!

I successfully converted some text from inkscape to pcb.
However, I had to work around two issues:

1) The drawing gets an offset by an amount that may be large enough to
put the objects beyond the limits of the pcb working area. This offset
is the same regardless whether I export as *.ps or as *.eps.
The pstoedit option -centered does not seem to help either. However, I
could compensate for the offset by giving the options -xshift and -yshift.

2) pstoedit fails if the option -ssp is given and the text was exported
from inkscape without the option "convert text to path".
Message on stderr is:
    pstoedit: drvbase.h:778: const Point& drawingelement<nr,
    curtype>::getPoint(unsigned int) const [with unsigned int nr = 0u,
    Dtype  curtype = closepath]: Assertion `(i+1) < (nr+1)' failed.
    Aborted

Should I file a report to the Debian BTS?

I still have to check whether the scaling is consistent.

The ability to import vector graphics to pcb is very welcome. It allows
me to tap the power of specialized vector graphics editors.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxx