Re: gEDA-user: Re: iverilog: Parameters of Parameters

On 1 May 2007, at 4:02:28 AM, Evan Lavelle wrote:

Stephen Williams wrote:

lingwitt-Bdlq13kUjeyLZ21kGMrzwg@public.gmane.org wrote:

Basically, I'm whining for a feature.

I've looked at the thread in comp.lang.verilog. The parameter

definition circularity problem is nasty, but a carefully contained

extension (a la the way Modelsim handles it) seems plausible.

This is a good candidate for the Feature Request list, I think.

But it's not valid Verilog. If you start adding nice features that aren't in the LRM, and aren't supported in the reference compilers, where will it all end?

...in VHDL, perhaps?

[sorry, couldn't resist... :)]

If we all blindly follow bad standards, where will it all end?

...in Verilog, perhaps?

[sorry, couldn't resist... :)]

In any case, as I stated in my last email,
this feature probably isn't good to add,
strictly because it seems to be nonstandard.

However, the lack of such a feature shows
the poor thought of Verilog's designers.

The burden is on the programmer, not
the tools.