gEDA-user: Transformer as voltage transducer?

I would like to measure mains voltage (110-240V, 60Hz), but I want my
measurement circuit to be isolated from the voltage being measured.  I
am going to be sampling the waveform at a high sample rate (relative
to the 60Hz waveform being measured) and comparing that with the
current on the same lines with (near-)simultaneous measurement.  So it
is important to me that the voltage waveform not be distorted or
phase-shifted, and the voltage I see should be related to the source
voltage by a simple linear ratio.

Seems like a simple transformer will do it, in theory.  But I'm not
sure about how they will work in the real world.  Do transformers
distort the voltage waveform or phase?  What happens if I put a load
on the secondary of more than a few nA?  What non-linearities are
there?  What sort of transformers are going to give me the best
response?

Or if the transformer idea is awful, any other ideas for isolated
voltage transducers?

TIA,

Randall