Re: gEDA-user: Transformer as voltage transducer?

Randall Nortman wrote:

> Seems like a simple transformer will do it, in theory.  But I'm not
> sure about how they will work in the real world.  Do transformers
> distort the voltage waveform or phase?

No.

> What happens if I put a load
> on the secondary of more than a few nA?

Other than switching noise, nothing happens. The switching noise can be
dealt with, with a de-bounce circuit.

> What non-linearities are
> there?

None, they aren't an active device, so there aren't issues with linearity.

> What sort of transformers are going to give me the best
> response?

For powerline frequencies, what more response would you need, than what
a power transformer gives you?

HTH
--
Darryl Gibson N2DIY
Ubuntu, free software for everybody. (TM)

“Arms are the only true badges of liberty. The possession of arms is the
distinction of a free man from a slave.”   --  Andrew Fletcher, A
Discourse of Government with relation to Militias (1698)