Re: gEDA-user: Running gEDA On an AMD Athlon

Make sure you download and install a modern distribution.  It would be
difficult to get the requirements correct using Redhat 7.1 (that must
be close to 10 years old now).  CDs to install the newest versions of
Fedora, Gentoo, or Ubuntu are all easily downloaded and work
effectively with gEDA (Ubuntu will even mail them to you).  You can
also very easily install a reasonably recent version of gEDA using the
package management system for those distributions (yum, emerge and apt
respectively).

For your first Linux install, don't use a 64bit version, it will only
give you headaches for now.  32bit versions of Linux work fine on
64bit processors.  There was even a CD image passed around for a live
CD of Ubuntu with gEDA installed, so you can try it out without
installing.  I played with this a little and it worked fine (you can
probably search the achive for the link).

Good luck.
-Jeff