gEDA-user: Mixed signal plane tie-in

First, I'd like to say thanks to all for their input and patience on
this list - especially towards the new users.  I've moved to PCB since
it is open and I'm tired of having to leave designs behind because I've
changed positions and locations and no longer have access to the layout
package I was working with last.  The user-list has saved me more than
once from my selective blindness when it comes to reading the
documentation!

Now, the question:  I've observed two different techniques for tying
analog and digital ground planes on mixed-signal boards.  The first
technique placed the tie-in directly under the analog/digital converter
on the MCU, the second technique placed the tie-in at the far edge of
the board between the analog and digital connectors.  Both boards were
MCU development boards, laid out so that roughly one quadrant of the
board was analog, the rest digital.  I've got all of my components
placed and ready to go, just wondering what experience/thoughts the
user-list had on the subject.

Regards,
Ethan