Re: gEDA-user: Symbols again

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 20:54 -0400, Ian Chapman wrote:
> Hi and thanks for the last helpful suggestion that got me over a hump.
>
> There are a few things that I am not clear on with symbols and
> footprints.  Example built into the 7400.sym we have
>
> net=Vcc:14 and net-Gnd:7.  Yet when I click on the symbol on the
> schematic I do not see this.  I am only curious as I wanted to change
> it
> to 3.3V:14 without editing and creating a new symbol.

If you attach a net=3.3V:14 to the symbol, it should override it. This
is what I do.

> Second on a 9 pin sub min D I have pins 10 and 11 showing up as shorts
> since I have connected the mounting pin/studs to ground.  Can I edit
> the
> symbol on the schematic with net=Gnd:10 etc without hitting a snag?

I just tried it.. the DB9 symbols don't have a pin 10, so I wasn't sure
what it would do. I attached the attribute net=GND:10, and it showed up
fine in my netlist.

+5V     CONN1-1
GND     CONN1-10 CONN1-3

Thanks for bringing this up.. I'm sure it will be handy knowledge for me
too shortly.

> The Net window was really good for de-snagging, I only had to select
> an
> offending signal to see the connections then click a component to be
> taken there.  The only snag was after flipping the board to see the
> solder side it seems to go to the correct xy location for an
> un-flipped
> board.  Thanks again for all the previous help Ian.

This is a bug, and I can confirm that it is NOT fixed in CVS. That said,
I _hate_ it moving my mouse about, and consider that a "bug" /
misfeature. (I often like to move between various items in the netlist
window, and dislike having to mouse the entire distance of my screen to
get back to it).

For my preference, moving the crosshair temporarily or putting some
other kind of graphic marker on the object of interest would be better.

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,