gEDA-user: text in a footprint in pcb

Hi, I have a connector which is a standard footprint, but I want to have text next to each pin saying what it is for.  I did this fine by adding text to the layout, but I have to be careful to select all of the text objects as well as the connector when moving it, and I have to redo it for each layout.

I tried to make a footprint, so first I place the connector, then break it up, then add text, then select all the parts I want and put it in the buffer, but when I try to "Convert buffer to element" it simply removes the text objects and converts the rest.

I know if I have to I can use lines to draw the text, but this is pretty tedious.  Is this a bug, or am I doing it wrong?

Thanks,
Sean