Re: gEDA-user: Verilog, testbenches, and Makefiles

Günter Dannoritzer wrote:
> I am usually splitting up my code into different folders:
>
> <project>/
>      + doc/
>      + rtl/
>      + tb/
>      + sim/
>      \ syn/
>
> The doc/ folder holds all the documentation related to the project. I am
> using Latex, so I have a Makefile here too for building the pdf. In the

\begin{shamelessplug}

If you're doing LateX documents and like Makefile's you might take a
look at latex-mk (http://latex-mk.sf.net).  It is a set of makefile
fragments along with a couple of wrapper scripts.  It manages
dependencies and all the building needed for complex documents.

A basic LaTeX document, mydoc.tex, just needs a Makefile that looks like:

-------

NAME= mydoc

# the exact syntax and file depends on GNU make vs BSD make
# BSD
.include "/usr/local/share/latex-mk/latex.mk"
# GNU
#include "/usr/local/share/latex-mk/latex.gmk"

-------

Now you get standard targets like 'pdf', 'view', 'clean'. etc.  There is
support for  lots of other things like multiple documents in the same
directory, multiple .tex files, generated .tex files, lgrind, tgif,
xfig, etc.  When you run across something special thats not already
directly supported by latex-mk, you can usually add some rules to your
project Makefile.  I pretty much won't even consider a LaTeX document
without latex-mk.

\end{shamelessplug}

-Dan