Re: gEDA-user: PCB plug-in to update footprints in layouts

DJ Delorie wrote:
>> /usr/bin/ld: footprintupdate.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a
>> local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile
>> with -fPIC
>
> Shared libraries should ALWAYS be built with -fpic or -fPIC.  The i386
> gets away without it because the developers got tired of answering
> questions like the above, and put in special handling for that error
> case to make it work.

the option to produce pic code is compiler dependent. -fPIC works for
gcc.  For SunPRO its -KPIC -DPIC (or -kPIC -DPIC, can't recall if k is
upper or lower).

How many systems have different behavior for -fpic vs -fPIC?  I suspect
we'd always want -fPIC (for gcc that is).

-Dan