Re: gEDA-user: Problem with spice model in both ngspice and gnucap

al davis wrote:

> Those fancy models that you get by downloading or from databases
> are usually overkill.  If you don't understand them, use a
> simpler model.

I think there can be some use for those vendor models, but you really
have to watch out because it is not always clear what is modeled and
what isn't.  The result is you end up having to trace out the model or
build up a model characterization test bench that compares some
simulated values to the datasheet or real measured values.

And I agree with Al's comment that they're often times overkill.  In one
case I can think of, all you really needed was the dominant pole to be
modeled and you instantly could predict some extremely important
behaviour.  I can see wanting to look at distortion in an audio filter
or something but then I have doubts about the models.

-Dan