Re: gEDA-user: fritzing

al davis wrote:

> They just don't get it.

<snip>
> Apparently, they see gEDA as a product to be consumed or to
> compete against, not as a potential neighbor to share with.

On what do you base that statement?  I don't hear that message when I
read their web site.

What I see is a tool aimed at the kind of user that would take a quick
look at gEDA and run the other way very fast.  Which, IMHO, would be the
correct decision for that kind of user.

If gEDA wants to serve that level of user, it needs a major
documentation project, and a major library project, and much more
newbie-friendly support than is available here.

Please don't take these comments as a complaint about gEDA -- gEDA suits
me just fine -- having a couple of engineering degrees, 35 years of
programming experience, quite a few pieces of work product that ended up
involving PCB designs (usually done by somebody else), I'm comfortable
with the work flow and at least know what questions to ask because I
know what I want to accomplish.

All I'm saying is that the typical Arduino user that is trying to
create, say, wearable electronic fashions, would find all the footprint
creation nonsense (for example) would take time away from them learning
to import vector artwork into their computer driven embroidery machine.

I think there are certainly areas of potential cooperation between
Fritzing and gEDA, especially with respect to the back end.  But I see
plenty of validity in their front-end, and their approach to serving
those they perceive as their user community.

If you think gEDA and Fritzing should work better together, then you
need to make the next move, you need to go over there.  They have been
here, inviting us to go take a look. And while you are there, be sure
you spend the time to understand the concerns of their users.  Its very
different from the current typical gEDA user.

-dave