Re: gEDA-user: Adding attributes to gschem symbols

On May 11, 2009, at 8:15 AM, Andy Fierman wrote:

> John,
>
> Thanks for that. I think I may have mislead a bit by saying that I
> wanted to edit my attributes in the schematic. Thinking a bit more and
> reading your comments of course I wouldn't want to edit much in a
> schematic for the reasons you describe. If I wanted to convert all the
> R's and all the C's from 0805 to 0603 then I'd want to do it at the
> symbol level and not directly in the schematic.
>
> I guess your comment about "The problem with the local library is that
> its scope isn't a project."
> means that if I edit a symbol then the
> scope of that change is across all projects and not just one
> particular project. So if I changed a resistor footprint from 0805 to
> 0603 then all resistors in all projects using that symbol would
> change. On the other hand if I needed to edit a footprint say for a
> different PCB manufacturer's guidelines then that might be what I
> wanted .....

It all depends on what you're doing. For me, even a single project
can have very different guidelines for different phases as a
laboratory prototype evolves into a spaceflight system.

> It hadn't dawned on me that I could make symbol libraries project
> specific.
>
> I need to think about it a bit more and perhaps look at what gattrib
> can do for me.

"gattrib" is the easy way to edit attributes at the schematic level,
but it won't go down into the symbols. It's convenient for small
projects, but not so great for big ones.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx