Re: gEDA-user: Signal Source Setup for Electric Guitar?

Gareth Edwards wrote:

>>> I wish I had a real oscilloscope to find out what my guitar is really
>>> putting out

An old Tek oscilloscope ($100) and a FET input probe ($50) would show you a lot.
join tekscopes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to find out more.

> Unless you are building a pickup, don't get too hung up on modelling
> it - it's a complex and changing impedance across frequency (stray and
> interwinding capacitance, leakage inductance, DC resistance etc) and
> the unit-to-unit variation in impedance and output voltage is large.
> You've already spotted that cable capacitance plays a part - the tone
> and volume controls loading the pickup are probably just as important.

That's where all those Hendrix effects of bending the guitar neck get "picked up".
The whole guitar is a sensor.

JG
--
Ecosensory   Austin TX