Re: gEDA-user: Cypress PSoC MiniProg under Linux

Stefan Salewski wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 12:03 -0700, Eric Brombaugh wrote:
>>  Since their development
>> IDE is Win-only I didn't see much point in pursuing it further.
>
> Maybe my understanding of your comment is wrong, but to make it clear:
> Xilinx FPGA development tools called WebPack are available free of costs
> for Windows and Linux. Downloading code to the FPGA may be a problem, I
> guess the parport cable for the old Spartan-3 boards works. I have not
> already used their WebPack for Linux, but I am sure it works. This was
> the reason why I decided using Spartan-3E for my DSO board, not Altera
> chips. Altera has tools for Linux too, but you have to buy it (It may
> work with Wine under Linux?).

The OP wasn't talking about Xilinx tools. He was asking about the
Cypress PSoC processor that's also on the Avnet S3A board, and that's
what my comments were directed towards.

I also use Xilinx ISE (both full-blown and Webpack) under Linux with no
difficulties. I don't do Xilinx downloads via JTAG under Linux though -
I either use a Xilinx USB/JTAG pod under WinXP, or I copy bitstreams to
an SD card which is loaded into the FPGA at boot time via an on-board MCU.

Eric