Re: gEDA-user: Cypress PSoC MiniProg under Linux

Chris Smith wrote:
> Eric Brombaugh wrote:
>> I also use Xilinx ISE (both full-blown and Webpack) under Linux with no
>> difficulties.
>
> I've used that too, and it's a great source of irritation and amazement
> to me that they manage to produce a 1.4GB install file to program a
> device the size of a postage stamp! :(

Yes, and that 1.4GB download balloons out to > 4GB after it's
decompressed into the final hierarchy. I did manage to strip a whole lot
of junk out of it and fit it onto a 2GB SD card for use with an eeePC901
under Ubuntu though.

>> or I copy bitstreams to an SD card which is loaded into the FPGA at
>> boot time via an on-board MCU.
>
> Would you mind elaborating a little on this 'bitstream' copying and

I've got a home-made board with an NXP LPC2148 ARM processor driving a
Xilinx XC3S250E FPGA via one of the SPI ports. At boot time the ARM
reads the bitstream out of an SD card via a FAT filesystem, strips off
the header and feeds it to the FPGA in slave-serial mode. After the FPGA
is configured, the configuration clk/data inputs become a SPI port and
that's how the ARM talks to the new FPGA design. More info (and source
code) here:

http://members.cox.net/ebrombaugh1/synth/armfpga/index.html

Eric