Re: gEDA-user: naming and creation of 54-pin TSOP II (400 mil) footprint, request for help

Hi Jelle,

On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 14:45 +0200, Jelle de Jong wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I am trying to create a footprint with a correct name using the IPC-7351
> Naming Convention for Standard SMT Land Patterns.
>
> But I am having some issues, i am using the below document to learn about
> the naming convention:
> https://secure.powercraft.nl/svn/openarm/trunk/working/pcb/documents/footprint-name-spec.pdf
>
> The footprint I want to make is a 54-pin TSOP II (400 mil), see:
> https://secure.powercraft.nl/svn/openarm/trunk/doc/SDRAM/MT48LC16M16A2P-7E/256MSDRAM.pdf
> # page 75, 54-Pin Plastic TSOP
>
> I tried to figure it out but I don't know what the lead span 1(L1) is?
>
> footprint:
> TSSOP-65P-640L1-54N
> 54-pin TSOP II (400 mil)
> TSSOP   pin spacing, lead span 1, pin count
> P  pin spacing        dimension
> L1 lead span 1        dimension
> N  pin count          count
>
> I also learned to create footprints with the following document:
> https://secure.powercraft.nl/svn/openarm/trunk/working/pcb/documents/land_patterns_20070818.pdf
> I had my ups and downs learning this and had some help trough IRC.
>
> However the creation of a 54-pin TSOP II seems to be able to automate
> using a script.
>
> I looked at the following, but it uses a license I disagree with and I
> can't figure out how it works, I prefer OSI and GPL compatible licenses.
> http://www.luciani.org/geda/pcb/pcb-perl-library.html
>
> Would somebody be able to help me out, what should the name of the
> footprint become and what scripts can I use to make the footprint and how
> can I do this?

I would go for a name like: "TSSOP80P1176X120-54N.fp" as in the IPC
standard IPC-7351

0.80 mm pitch,
11.76 mm lead span,
1.20 mm height
- 54 leads with Nominal pad conditions (as one of the following: Least,
Nominal, Most).

Maybe it is a wise thing to avoid "-" characters in footprint file names
or to have a "use-files" line in your gsch2pcb config file and pass a
--skip-m4 flag to disable m4 macro generated footprints to goof up your
pcb stuff.

Maybe include a vendor and part name too, while footprint artwork
recommendations may vary across vendors and specific parts.

Kind regards,

Bert Timmerman.