Re: gEDA-user: Parts!

Bill Gatliff wrote:
> Joerg wrote:
>> I use a MS-Works database. It lists the qty, part description and (very
>> important) where is is stashed. For SMT stuff that I may need at client
>> sites I use tiny jewel boxes that have around 50 micro-bins each in a
>> 2"*2"*1/3" space, stackable. No chance for labels or anything, without
>> this database I would not have a clue what's where.
>>

> Even worse, many of my SMT parts are so small that the labeling on them
> is pretty meaningless--- if there is any at all.  If a box of parts were
> to drop open, you'd be better off sweeping the whole pile into the trash
> and starting over!

I meant the bins themselves. The individual storage areas as such tiny
square holes that even a label on that part of the box would be like
micro-fiche.

> I did find these once:  http://t-rexelectronics.com/7.html
>
> Seems great for cut tapes, at least. Where did you get your boxes?

The usual, at a company that closed the subsidiary. They are actually
containers where SMT inductors were shipped in.

> My wife has suggested mini-scrapbook albums, whose page folders are
> about the same size as the small static-safe bags that Mouser ships in.
>
> Plano makes some small boxes with configurable compartments, but I've
> found that their dividers don't seat tightly enough to keep small SMT
> parts from passing underneath them.  And I worry about static.

John Larkin on s.e.design gave me "the" hint: Coin envelopes. So I
bought two boxes of No.1 coin envelopes at Staples and started filing
the various parts inside. It's the brownish post-consumer stuff and I
could not detect any  static on those. You can write onto them,
including comments such as "mushy at VCC < 4V". Digikey ships with these
nice peel and stick labels and I also stick those on there. So when I
run out of something I just key in the number on there and, bingo.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/