Re: gEDA-user: geda cygwin package

Peter Baxendale wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 13:25 -0400, al davis wrote:
>
>> Educators typically use simulators very poorly, as if they
>> themselves don't understand.  In most cases, the total use is a
>> few specified runs with a couple of graphs, that you do after
>> everything else is done.  A more appropriate use of simulators
>> is to explore things that you can't see with real measurements.
>> There is a lot that you can find out about a circuit that you
>> can't measure in a practical way.
>>
>> Students need to learn to be flexible, and they need to learn to
>> use computers effectively, not just by kicking the GUI a few
>> times.  EE's, even analog designers, need to learn some serious
>> programming.
>>

> You're right, of course. In mitigation let me say that the particular
> course for which I use swcad (LTSpice) is 4 x 2hr sessions for a dozen
> students who've never seen an electronic cad package before. I try to
> give them an understanding of the process from design to schematic to
> test by simulation to pcb. I use gschem/gattrib/gsch2pcb/pcb and swcad.
> The choice of swcad was a compromise to give me a better chance of
> fitting it all in. It just gives them a taster for what might be
> possible using simulation.

IMHO that was a smart choice. Whether we like it or not, nearly all of
those kids will be owning Windows-based laptops plus some maybe with
Apple. It is best when they can simply use the simulator on their own
laptops so they have a chance to keep working on a problem over lunch or
on weekends.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/