Re: gEDA-user: Footprints licensing (was: good books about footprint and land patterns)

>> For gEDA/PCB, we prefer the GPL because the programs themselves are
>> GPL'd, so we can mix the program sources and library sources into a
>> single distribution with a single license.  Note that this license
>> covers redistribution, not use - and it's intended to protect the
>> software from abuse, and protect the recipient's right-to-use.
>
> BTW, I could find nothing similar to GNU font exception for footprints
> in PCB distribution.
>
> As I understand, this formally should mean that embedding them in a
> board file makes it GPL-covered.
>
> Do I miss something?

The licensing issue for footprints gets rehashed repeatedly on this
list.  Accordingly, we put the following note on the gEDA website some
time ago:

http://www.gpleda.org/license.html

The text talks about symbols, but I believe the developers agree that
if you substitute the word symbol -> footprint, then you will have the
gEDA Project's policy regarding licensing of footprints.

I suppose at some point we should put a similar text on the PCB
website.

Stuart