Re: gEDA-user: Outsourcing PCB layout

Joerg <joergsch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It sure does sound reasonable. Probably what my layouter would have
> quoted me also (and no, he won't be an option here because he doesn't
> use gEDA).

Well, I don't use gEDA either, I use uEDA for the schematic/BOM phase of
the design, but that doesn't really matter, I just export PostScript/PDF
schematics, a netlist and various BOM formats.

Your layouter *would* actually be an option for me, but only if he
charges significantly less than what others on this list have already
offered, which I indeed find rather unlikely.  If two layout contractors
charge approximately the same rate, but one uses PCB and the other uses
something proprietary, I would choose the one who uses PCB because:

* Making uEDA export the netlist in other formats would be extra work
  for me;
* I already have all the footprints for my board in the PCB format, but
  if the layout contractor uses something else, he would have to redraw
  those footprints and charge me for that extra time;
* Having the layout done in PCB would make it easier for me to "own" the
  final product.  (I'm not talking about the legal ownership crap which
  is implied if I hire someone to do a layout for me, I'm talking about
  being able to do whatever I like with it afterward in the technical
  sense.)

MS