Re: gEDA-user: Outsourcing PCB layout

Michael Sokolov wrote:
> Joerg <joergsch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> It sure does sound reasonable. Probably what my layouter would have
>> quoted me also (and no, he won't be an option here because he doesn't
>> use gEDA).
>
> Well, I don't use gEDA either, I use uEDA for the schematic/BOM phase of
> the design, but that doesn't really matter, I just export PostScript/PDF
> schematics, a netlist and various BOM formats.
>
> Your layouter *would* actually be an option for me, but only if he
> charges significantly less than what others on this list have already
> offered, which I indeed find rather unlikely.  If two layout contractors
> charge approximately the same rate, but one uses PCB and the other uses
> something proprietary, I would choose the one who uses PCB because:
>
> * Making uEDA export the netlist in other formats would be extra work
>   for me;
> * I already have all the footprints for my board in the PCB format, but
>   if the layout contractor uses something else, he would have to redraw
>   those footprints and charge me for that extra time;
> * Having the layout done in PCB would make it easier for me to "own" the
>   final product.  (I'm not talking about the legal ownership crap which
>   is implied if I hire someone to do a layout for me, I'm talking about
>   being able to do whatever I like with it afterward in the technical
>   sense.)
>
> MS

Another thing to consider is the brand new topo autorouter.  Tony is making changes to
it as of the other day...  With the wide spacing of parts allowed, putting power and ground planes,
locating parts, and turning on the autorouter this might be a speed project in two days!  (w/o any engineering of course)

I hadn't the time yet to look over the detailed design, but the others saying four to five full
working days is OK by me too.  but then, the international reach of the internet along with closed borders
and regulated trade may put me out, way out :-)

"On Fri, 22 May 2009 10:39:56 +0400, Ineiev wrote:

 > > Interesting project. I'd do it for something like 3000 Russian money
 > > units.

Is this rubels?
At the current exchange rate it would amount to about 70 EUR or 100 USD.
This would barely be enough to buy me food for four days at the local
grocery. "

I was wondering if this fit with anything I am doing?  Michael, does this SDSL link have any better
deterministic time you can phase lock to?   My sensornets want precision time at the edge of their
radio connected fields -- for IEEE-1588 precision time protocol time stamping.

John Griessen
--
Ecosensory   Austin TX