Re: gEDA-user: pcb library and hid build modification

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 11:05 PM, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > %.so : %.c
>> >     gcc $(INCLUDES) -g -O2 -Wall -shared $< -o $@
>> >

>> This creates DYN objects for each .c file, the objects created during
>> PCB's current build are REL not DYN...  The goal was to have PCB and
>> the bindings not have duplicate object code... which a shared library
>> would solve.
>
> Er, what?  Each C file is compiled once.  The core files are compiled
> and linked into pcb; the plugin's files are compiled once and linked
> into the .so.  When PCB loads a plugin, the dynamic linker finishes
> the link by resolving the plugin's references with symbols from the
> pcb app.  The plugins have no core code in them.

Er, no, not talking about plugins, talking about bindings... again,
you are looking at it backwards from how I was looking at it (or I was
looking at it backwards from how you are looking at it), ergo...

>> everyone has to add-on to PCB...
>
> Right.

Ok, but not sure I agree with the philosophy.

Jason