Re: gEDA-user: PCB build changes

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 4:25 AM, Dan McMahill <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There may be some rough edges left so I'd appreciate any feedback and
> problem reports around this change.

Some comments:

I did a fresh clone of the git repo then ./autogen.sh && ./configure
&& make.  Which, if I understood your post correctly, should work now
(i.e. I don't need --enable-maintainer-mode or --disable-doc anymore).
 However, this failed with:

restore=: && backupdir=".am$$" && \
        am__cwd=`pwd` && cd . && \
        rm -rf $backupdir && mkdir $backupdir && \
        if (/bin/sh /home/jcasper/play/geda/pcb/pcb-clean/missing
--run makeinfo --version) >/dev/null 2>&1; then \
          for f in pcb.info pcb.info-[0-9] pcb.info-[0-9][0-9]
pcb.i[0-9] pcb.i[0-9][0-9]; do \
            if test -f $f; then mv $f $backupdir; restore=mv; else :; fi; \
          done; \
        else :; fi && \
        cd "$am__cwd"; \
        if /bin/sh /home/jcasper/play/geda/pcb/pcb-clean/missing --run
makeinfo   -I . \
         -o pcb.info pcb.texi; \
        then \
          rc=0; \
          cd .; \
        else \
          rc=$?; \
          cd . && \
          $restore $backupdir/* `echo "./pcb.info" | sed 's|[^/]*$||'`; \
        fi; \
        rm -rf $backupdir; exit $rc
pcb.texi:9: @include `version.texi': No such file or directory.
makeinfo: Removing output file `pcb.info' due to errors; use --force
to preserve.
make[3]: *** [pcb.info] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/jcasper/play/geda/pcb/pcb-clean/doc'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/jcasper/play/geda/pcb/pcb-clean/doc'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jcasper/play/geda/pcb/pcb-clean'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I noticed you removed version.texi with the comment that "you have all
the tools and makefile rules for them to be regenrated anyway."  So am
I missing something?  "make version.texi" in the doc directory claims
"Nothing to be done for 'version.texi'." and there is no version.texi
in the directory. A glance at the generated Makefile in doc and there
is only one rule explicitely for verison.texi:
'$(srcdir)/version.texi: # $(srcdir)/stamp-vti'.  uncommenting the
dependency makes the build succeed, but I don't know enough about the
doc building system to know if that is the right thing to do (or how
to prevent it from being there, starting from the .am).

Another interesting thing to note is that when building in a seperate
build directory (not in the source tree), with the source tree in
../pcb-clean, it says 'makeinfo: Removing output file
`../../pcb-clean/doc/pcb.info' due to errors; use --force to
preserve.'  i.e. it appears to be making pcb.info in the source
directory rather than the build directory, which seems wrong.  Most
other generated stuff (*_size.texi, .png's, .gif's, and .pdf's) are
correctly generated in the build/doc directory.

Also, 'make distclean' removes
doc/{fractional_size,letter_size,metric_size,wire_size}.texi and
po/pcb.pot, which are tracked by git.  Seems like all these are
generated files that can be removed from git (along with the others,
like version.texi, that you removed).

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help (or if I missed
something?). I may look at it more in depth later on tonight, to try
to figure out the "right" solution, if I get a chance

Jared