gEDA-user: missing PCB GUIs

hello,

I am using gEDA tools for designing my circuit board
I am new to this package
computer: ASUS F8SR
OS: Ubuntu 8.10
PCB version: 20080202

I installed the following packages
(1) gschem
(2) PCB
(3) GNUCAP
(4) gerbv
I got pretty much the same window environment for gschem and gerbv as
those of all the other programs in my computer
but ever since the first time I turn on PCB, the GUI does not seem to
be correct.
I cannot find the following:
(1) panner control
(2) layer control
(3) tool selector
and the font size of the menu is much smaller than any other window
programs on my computer. any alphabets look like those in my old
version Linux (RedHat 5.0), also the style of the window is complete
different from those of all other programs (very old-fashioned)
I already installed all that's associated with the keyword "PCB", and
I kind of wonder if I missed a certain library or something here?

I am not sure if anyone had any similar experience before?
could someone please tell me what to do to fix this problem?

thank you very much