Re: gEDA-user: font problem in 1.6.0

On May 3, 2010, at 6:46 AM, Peter Clifton wrote:
Nope, that wasn't it, I found another one.  Christian Schilmoeller
ran into this exact problem in late December; the resolution was to
install all the dependencies via macports.

It "might" due to some Pango / cairo build configuration. There are a
number of different ways to build pango / cairo. Some will be using
native OS X APIs for fonts, others might use freetype and fontconfig.
I'm not sure what the easy recipe to a working config is.

Ugh. Just getting that stuff built AT ALL on anything other than a 32-bit x86 running Linux is a major chore.

Though I've seen what pango and cairo can do (and am VERY impressed with them), I don't know much about using them. Do either of them have any way to tell what's using what as a back-end?

As Peter B mentioned, the Win32 font scaling bug (now resolved) was due
to a "," as the locale decimal separator. You could try starting gEDA
with "LC_ALL=C gschem", "LANG=C gschem" or something like that, but I'm
not sure whether this is the bug you're seeing.

  It's not.

Does the text scale correctly with the page?

  No it doesn't; it seems to stay the same size when I zoom in and out.

Please try 1.6.1, as it is just possible that the changes to fix the
Win32 bug (which also, for robustness changed away from using a
description string to set the font size), will fix the issue.

Understood. No difference here. I'm going to investigate pango and cairo a bit. I'm starting a new project and I really need to get it rolling, so I'm going to pour on some steam today to get this working, or I'll end up using very old releases of gschem and pcb.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL