gEDA-user: [OT?] Best way to do Multiple Monitors?

I want to get my machine set up with two monitors.

Is it better to get a single video card that can handle multiple
monitors, or to have two different video cards?
Seems like two cards would take more power (make more heat) than a
single card (Want to be conscious of the Electric Bill)?

Beyond a rare occasional games of Chess I never play games, always
doing CAD type stuff, so not looking for high end gaming card.

I'm not particularly found of NVidia, which is my current card and
locks up my box if I use their closed source drivers.

Machine is a AMD64 box running Gentoo-Linux.  Want something that
supports AMD64 and will be supported for a few years.

What are the best options for cards with prices below $300 (the
budgeted amount), from real experiences?

--
http://www.wearablesmartsensors.com/
http://www.softwaresafety.net/