Re: gEDA-user: nRF24L01+ symbol

On May 7, 2010, at 4:19 AM, Hans Nieuwenhuis wrote:

On Tue, 4 May 2010 09:59:51 -0400
DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Are you sure? I have got a few FT232RQ's here and their pads extend to
the sides as well.

There's metal on the sides, but it's not contiguous with the metal on
the bottoms.  I've checked under a microscope, and the PDF spec
agrees.

Thanks for pointing this out, I mistakingly assumed the pads were
wrapped around. Luckily the side pads are connected to the bottom pads
and I have enough room to solder those side pads (pfeewh).
On another note, I am using the Exar XR21V1410 as an alternative to the
FT232RQ, same function, smaller package, less pins and cheaper. They
work fine so far.
The look nice, They say they support mac drivers, but i didn't see them on their webpage.

They are missing the built in EEPROM so configuration needs an external EEPROM. I use the GPIO modes of the FTDI chips occasionally, and not having the Serial driver take over the part is nice.