Re: gEDA-user: "soldermask via caps"

On May 21, 2010, at 8:52 AM, Stefan Salewski wrote:

> Capillary forces should move the
> fluid from width to narrow areas, so I do not really believe that all
> solder will propagate from the contact area of your device into large
> vias.

Solder is a bit odd: the temperature dependence of the capillary force moves solder from cooler places to hotter places. Try soldering with a torch: counterintuitively the torch *pulls* the solder toward it! So if you give the solder a place to flow that's hotter than the pad (which is in contact with the relatively cool device), it'll tend to flow there.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx