gEDA-user: Still confused on using PCB to make footprints

   I was trying to make footprints for the screw terminals I am using in
   my current project. They are on 5 mm spacing, not inches, so I was
   hesitant to start with a different footprint and try to change it for
   fear of getting the units mixed up and creating a mess. So I switched
   PCB to mm with 0.5mm grid spacing. I had no trouble laying out a
   silkscreen outline, and little trouble adding vias for the three
   through holes. But then I could not figure out how to change the vias
   to pins to assign them numbers and or names. And I am still confused on
   how to make sure that the pins in a footprint I make will match up with
   the correct nets from the schematic symbol pins. I looked through every
   drop down menu several times, and checked the key mapping info. I am
   sure that there is a tutorial somewhere that helps with this, but the
   only ones I have read seem to skip over the pin creation and naming,
   and verifying that they associate with the correct pins on the symbol.
      Could someone explain to me how to create a footprint in PCB with
   pins and assign names/numbers to them? And what information is needed
   to get gscht2pcb to correctly assign nets to pads? Is there any way to
   test a symbol -> gsch2pcb -> footprint translation without making a
   whole schematic? And is there a better tutorial on making footprints
   with PCB for gschem symbols that I should have been reading instead
   (and if so, where can I find it)?
       I managed to gerrymander a 2 row header perl script in inches into
   making the mm spaced single row of holes for the screw terminals using
   Luciani's perl scripts, but I was doubtful until they finally worked.
   Mike