Re: gEDA-user: PCB 45 degree lines

On Sat, 2010-05-29 at 22:55 -0400, gene glick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know we've gone over this before, but I still can't get a decent 45
> degree line.  I've changed to the ",45" line type instead of "-/" type
> and have the same problem.  Last time I brought this up, I was trying to
> attach to an already drawn line segment and right at the connection
> point there is some jaggedness.  Well this hasn't gotten better.  But
> worse, is when drawing one complete line from pad to pad, with a long 45
> angle, the raged lines appear.  It passes DRC, but just looks kind of lousy.
>
> I'm using 8 mil lines, 8 mil space and 1 mill grid space - if that helps
> any.

I can not really confirm your problems with PCB (GTK) 20091103 shipped
with Gentoo-Linux for AMD64.

A few remarks: Such a fine 1 mil grid is not necessary in general case.
For 8 mil space and 8 mil traces 8 mil grid should be fine. Use
"Settings/Crosshair snaps to pins/pad" to connect to off grid elements.

Have you enabled visible grid, and unchecked "Settings/All direction
lines" ?

You may try starting a new/fresh pcb session to check if your settings
are the reason for the problem.

And you may try to analyze the odd 45 degree traces -- zoom in and try
to select the trace to check if it is built of multiple segments.

Maybe it is only an visible problem caused by your display and all is
fine. Does it look different when you zoom in? You may make an gerber
export and check that in gerbv.

Or make an minimal pcb board, with odd looking trace, and post it here?

Best regards

Stefan Salewski