gEDA-user: How to make a ground plane in PCB and attach all GND and VSS nets

   I'd like to make a 4-layer board with a ground plane that all the GND
   net and VSS net connect to.  I've read through DJ's PCB tutorial but
   I'm not clear about a few things.
   1.  How do I set up the groups and layers in preferences for 3 signal
   planes and the one groub?
   2.  Once I create the rectangle of the ground plane, how do I get PCB
   to attach the GND and the VSS nets to that ground plane when I
   auto-route?
   Thanks