Re: gEDA-user: Stuck on magnetic nets

On Sun, 8 May 2011 13:57:33 -0700
Mike Bushroe <mbushroe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I just started up again using gschem after a long break, and was
> surprised to see a new feature called magnet net. I general, it was
> great, but it also caused problems.  I started with probably an
> undersized title block, and the page rapidly got stuffed with just a
> 40 pin ATMega and 3 L293 motor drivers. I had the lines spaced very
> close, and the magnet net would not let me pick which pin or line to
> connect to when they were closely spaced. Also, if the line was very
> close to the pin, it would reject the line altogether. I tried
> turning it off, and then nothing would connect. Lines were not on the
> same grid spacing as the pins, and it was really tough making gschem
> accept a net connection.

You may already know this, but you can turn off the new magnetic net
feature with 'om' or Options | Toggle Magnetic Net.  I always turn it
off because even when it chooses the correct target node, the path it
chooses often causes incorrect connections by inadvertently hitting
another pin on the way!  It's a clever idea but it doesn't work at all
for me.

Regards,
Colin