Re: gEDA-user: pcb: Track routing strategies and tips

Colin D Bennett wrote:

> Does anyone have any tips on how to plan a layout for easy and clean
> track routing?  In particular for 2-layer boards.

Put extra care into component placement. IMHO, placement is more
critical to the design than routing.

> One strategy that I have seen and recently tried is to use the top
> layer for all horizontal trace runs and the bottom layer for all
> vertical trace runs, or vice-versa.

Yep. This is a good default. It avoids road blocks by tracks on
both sides.

> Do you ever use the pcb autorouter

Rarely.

> or do you always route by hand?

Mostly.

> Do you ever study other people's PCB designs to learn from them?

Sometimes I look with awe at computer motherboards ;-)

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
Email: kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx