Re: gEDA-user: pcb: Track routing strategies and tips

On Wed, 11 May 2011 02:26:43 +0200
Kai-Martin Knaak <kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Colin D Bennett wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any tips on how to plan a layout for easy and clean
> > track routing?  In particular for 2-layer boards.
>
> Put extra care into component placement. IMHO, placement is more
> critical to the design than routing.

I have heard this advice often.

> > Do you ever study other people's PCB designs to learn from them?
>
> Sometimes I look with awe at computer motherboards ;-)

I originally commented in my message at this point about how I found it
interesting to examine computer motherboards (but decided to delete it).
There is so much to those boards!  Some of the vias are nearly
microscopic (laser-drilled, I guess).  One thing I recently discovered
was the trace length matching in the SDRAM signals.  Some beautiful PCB
design.  I've practiced my hot air rework skills with some old
motherboards and studied their design while at the same time salvaging
some nice connectors, inductors, etc.

Regards,
Colin