Re: gEDA-user: An idea: rework design support

On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 11:16 -0700, Ouabache Designworks wrote:
> Would it be useful. Yes
>    Would it be easy  No.

Indeed not.

I was thinking you would work from the schematic first anyway, so you
make a break where you want it on the schematic, then correct the PCB.

PCB can already verify that you have got the correct connevtivity, so
the worries below are not a big problem. True, until you've made the
break track annotation(s), PCB would regard your board as shorting two
nets together. We could really use some improvement in the way we locate
probable locations for nets shorted against each other anyway though.

>    When you cut a trace you might split a node into two nodes. Or then
>    again you might not if there is a loop on the PCB. You would need to
>    extract connectivity from the layout to be sure. The cut on the PCB is
>    unlikely to map to a nice easy spot on the schematic where you could
>    make the equivalent cut.  You may wind up having to redraw the
>    schematic.

Netlist extraction from the PCB is possible with a little effort, but I
was thinking of a schematic -> PCB flow here, not back-annotating board
changes to the schematic.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,