Re: gEDA-user: Reinventing the wheel

On 18/05/11 01:41, John Doty wrote:

On May 17, 2011, at 9:06 AM, Russell Shaw wrote:

It seems like too much redundancy to have two projects with similar uses
(which i wouldn't like), and i don't like forking either.

But your vision is an integrated tool, while gEDA is a toolkit.

I'm still studying geda, but if i did some real work on it, it would end up
having an extra file format, extra guis, and a closer sch/pcb link.

Please, no. These are tools that represent extremely incompatible design
philosophies. They work well together only because the interface is clean and
simple, and avoids the minefield of integration.

Most guis hide what they do. I believe in them showing the commands they
send internally as a script would (or atleast have the option to show that)
so the user can paste the commands into an external file if needed.