Re: gEDA-user: Reinventing the wheel

Hi John,

John Doty wrote:
> The architectures are different. To flexibly interact with external
> tools, you need the interfaces to be simple text files. Anything more
> complex is a serious barrier, in general.

What do you mean by "the architectures are different"?

The reason I ask is that I am sceptical that a different architecture is
required to allow IPC.  There are already two IPC architectures in place
between gschem and PCB:

     1. Text files.
     2. The user.

I think the general consensus is that these are good IPC mechanisms;
they can get the job done.  However, they are poor for a variety of use
cases that people have.  For some of these, the biggest disadvantage is
that they are too slow.

Cheers,

Rob