Re: gEDA-user: Broken TO92 footprint

On Thu, 19 May 2011 14:02:58 -0400
Vanessa Ezekowitz <vanessaezekowitz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The discussion about "reinventing the wheel" reminded me:
>
> The TO92 footprint included with PCB does not work with the schematic
> importer therein.  Try to reference it and the importer complains
> about missing pins, because it uses numbered pins instead of the
> B-C-E lettering used in gschem's transistor symbols.   Copy and edit
> the footprint to use those letters and the importer complains about
> pin numbers ending in letters.

Isn't a word of caution in order, since not all TO-92 transistors use
the same order of B/C/E pins?  Or is the one you've provided the
standard now?  I think what is required are multiple TO-92 footprints,
where the left/right/center pins have different "numbers".  Then,
depending on the exact transistor you are using on your board, you
select the appropriate footprint for its pinout.

Regards,
Colin