Re: gEDA-user: chip data directories in a library ( library packages )

On Sun, 22 May 2011 11:27:24 -0500
John Griessen <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 05/22/2011 10:37 AM, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> > Next try: "packet"
> > This can also contain all kinds of objects. It closely avoids the
> > clash with the meaning of "package" in data sheets.
>
> Packet is a good one.  If someone is confused they can be told library
> packet, or see it is  in library context.

"Package" seems like the right word to me.

I've run into at least a few instances where changing from one physical package type to another required a different symbol because the pinout is totally different.

I recall one chip I dealt with where the signals physically stayed in place between PLCC and  SOIC, but the pin numbering was rotated to move "pin 1" from one corner to the center of an edge.  Similar for some old DRAMs from back in the day, where certain ZIP packages had a totally different signal->pin mapping than DIP.

--
"There are some things in life worth obsessing over. ÂMost
things aren't, and when you learn that, life improves."