Re: gEDA-user: cvs.gedasymbols.org and gschem

On Tue, 24 May 2011 01:34:04 -0400
DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > but I avoid name conflicts in project libraries.
>
> If we find ourselves gaining popularity and a plethora of libraries
> comes into being, we may no longer have the luxury of avoiding name
> conflict.  "name scoping" came up a few times in the library
> discussion, I think keeping the issue in mind, even at time, is
> important.

It might be useful to include a UUID in symbols so that once a
particular symbol is in use, the identity of that symbol can be
guaranteed through a UUID reference.  Of course,
there would be backward-compatibility for symbols without a UUID
attribute, but if a schematic made use of a symbol with a UUID, then
the schematic is future-proofed against any future name collisions for
that symbol.

Regards,
Colin