Re: gEDA-user: cvs.gedasymbols.org and gschem

On Tue, 24 May 2011 07:57:28 -0400
DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > It might be useful to include a UUID in symbols so that once a
> > particular symbol is in use, the identity of that symbol can be
> > guaranteed through a UUID reference.
>
> Do you mean a UUID for a symbol template in a library, or a UUID for a
> specific instance of a symbol in a schematic?

My initial thought was for an abstract symbol (i.e., a .sym file).
This way "Diode.sym" from my personal library is treated as a unique
symbol from "Diode.sym" from another library.

But now that you mention it, a UUID for a symbol instance in a
schematic is important too, particularly when slots come into play.
Proper design of the slotting system would fix the "footprint for a
slotted symbol is taken only from the first instance with that refdes"
problem...

Regards,
Colin