Re: gEDA-user: Solving the light/heavy symbol problem

On May 24, 2011, at 9:37 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

> I did think about where the *metadata* would come from, and some API
> to hide all that behind.  I'm waffling between something like HTTP/CGI
> (automatic integration with any web server) or SQL (powerful query
> language)

I think if we continue to worry about what the user or consumer might see without prototyping it, we'll just argue about it forever. But we seem to have reached the consensus that gnetlist is the place where everything should come together. That, I think, requires refactoring gnetlist. When the right factors are present, the gnetlist approach is very powerful, but we don't have all of them here. We can't really make a prototype that covers the ground.

I'm quite willing to help on the plug-in/back-end side, but working on a minor refactoring of gnetlist itself was a very negative experience. I have no desire to descend into the Mines of Moria again. Who is brave enough?

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx