gEDA-user: starting gschem with example .sch file

First afte install,
I checked these:

 You can tell if you have
installed the tools correctly by running the following commands:

	libgeda-config --version
	gesym-config --version
	which gschem
	ldd `which gschem`

and they all were likely responses.

I ran this command line:

[john@carbide ebt]$ gschem filter_1.sch
gEDA/gschem version 20010722
gEDA/gschem comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; see COPYING for more details.
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
conditions; please see the COPYING file for more details.

Error : system-error [C:51 L:24] in /usr/local/share/gEDA/system-gschemrc
Most recently read form: (#@load (#@string-append #@gedarcdir
/system-commonrc))
Error : system-error [C:19 L:0] in /home/john/.gEDA/gschemrc
Most recently read form: (#@load ./commonrc)
Failed to read init scm file [(null)/gschem.scm]
Tried to get an invalid color: 0
Tried to get an invalid color: 7
Could not find [opamp-1.sym] in any ComponentLibrary
Symbol will be removed from schematic
Could not load question font char -- check font-directory keyword

another clue is when I try the gschem pulldown menu, there are no libs
referenced.

(define gedarcdir (getenv "GEDADATARC"))
Do I have to make ennvironment vars for this?  Can I just put it in
the system rc file directly?  It seems too many references to
references....want simpler.

/opt/geda/share/gEDA  is one existing dir after compiling, but i had to
create one called
/usr/local/share/gEDA
to get the gschem program to start.  Am I the first to attempt to install in
/opt/geda instead of /home/username/geda?

which one should I use?  I guess copy all contents of opt/geda/share/gEDA

I did that and then I get a schematic and it references all the lib
components it needs!   Looks comforting and familiar to Cadence!

So, what did I install wrong to have this puzzle to solve?

John Griessen

[john@carbide ebt]$ gschem filter_1.sch
gEDA/gschem version 20010722
gEDA/gschem comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; see COPYING for more details.
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
conditions; please see the COPYING file for more details.

Probably parenthesis mismatch in /usr/local/share/gEDA/system-gschemrc
Most recently read form: (define gedarcdir (/usr/local/share/gEDA))