Re: gEDA-user: starting gschem with example .sch file

Hi,

> You can tell if you have
>installed the tools correctly by running the following commands:
>
>	libgeda-config --version
>	gesym-config --version
>	which gschem
>	ldd `which gschem`
>
>and they all were likely responses.

	Could you please post the results from these commands.

>I ran this command line:
[snip]
>Error : system-error [C:51 L:24] in /usr/local/share/gEDA/system-gschemrc
[snip]
>Could not load question font char -- check font-directory keyword
>
>another clue is when I try the gschem pulldown menu, there are no libs
>referenced.
>
>(define gedarcdir (getenv "GEDADATARC"))
                            ^^^^^^^^^^

You must have an old version of gEDA installed, since this variable
was used at one point, but in the new version of gaf (20010722), GEDADATA
is the new name.  I am almost convinced that you have an old version of
some piece (or pieces) which is confusing gschem.

>Do I have to make ennvironment vars for this?  Can I just put it in
>the system rc file directly?  It seems too many references to
>references....want simpler.

	You shouldn't have to, gschem will take care of this automatically,
unless you build gschem with a particular --prefix and then try to move
the data files elsewhere.

>to get the gschem program to start.  Am I the first to attempt to install in
>/opt/geda instead of /home/username/geda?

	Nope, that should work fine, unless there is an libgeda-config
or gesym-config hanging around from a previous build confusing things.

[snip]
>So, what did I install wrong to have this puzzle to solve?

	I think if you post the above information, that might help
solve this mystery.   Thanks.

								-Ales