-- Cut here --
From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>

At 01:00 29/10/2003, you wrote:

> >       No, you are doing everything right.  make xinstall and setup
> > are the newest members of the gEDA/gaf family and hence still need some
>
>May I suggest to remove the "3) Type: make xinstall" method inside
>the relased notes of gaf-20030901-relnotes.html
>It looks so good that everyone (including me) jumps on it and it
>causes bad reputation for geda for person who is installing for the
>first time.
>There is a big potential for this interface as it has even downloaded
>automatically missing package for me, so, I want to encourage developers
>to keep doing it. It's a good start I would say, but in CVS only maybe
>for the moment.
>
>Jean-Luc (who had the classical crash as everyone I think).

This strikes me as an over-reaction. As I posted some months ago, xinstall
worked fine for me under Mandrake 9.0. It took some time before I fully
understood what it was doing and what it was intended to do , but the
command did what it should have done.

By all means include a warning about possible side effects, but xinstall is
distinctly more convenient that install, and it is worth persevering with it.

Bill Sloman, Nijmegen