Re: gEDA-user: VHDL Compiler

Since there's been a lot of discussion about digital design tools
recently, perhaps people need to be reminded about the OpenCores
project?

http://www.opencores.org/

Amongst other things, there was some discussion on the OC list about
building an open-source synthesis tool a couple of months ago.   You
can check the archives to see if anything came of it.  (I don't think
anything did . . . .)

And as for a VHDL source complier, they have a couple listed on thier
links page:

http://www.opencores.org/OIPC/tool.shtml

There is also a command line VHDL tool called Alliance which I tried
briefly once:

http://www-asim.lip6.fr/recherche/alliance/doc/jumpstart/VHDL-Subset/VHDL.html

I didn't like it, but that was about 5 years ago & I was new to
HDL design anyway.  It might have improved since then, or it may not
have been bad in the first place . . . .

If you can switch to Verilog, then Icarus Verilog rocks -- I've used
it to do a couple of small-to-mid sized projects.

As for a waveform viewer, GTKWave is the tool of choice, IMHO:

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/apt/tools/gtkwave/

Stuart