Re: gEDA-user: VHDL Compiler

For Verilog code samples, try downloading some of the cores off of
OpenCores.org.

In short and simple terms, they differ  syntatically, but serve
basically the same design niche.  VHDL is more structured, organized,
& wordy, Verilog is more cryptic and less structured (but not too much
so).  In a sense, VHDL is more like Pascal, Verilog is more like C.
Note that both Pascal & C (like VHDL and Verilog)  serve the same
design purpose.

Some would say that VHDL is slightly "higher level" than Verilog, and
that Verilog is slightly "closer to gates" than VHDL.  As a practical
matter, these distinctions are not relevant to the ordinary designer.
You won't notice a bit of difference w.r.t. the power of the language
in your project.

For more info, I suggest Googling up the comp.lang.vhdl or
comp.lang.verilog FAQs.

Stuart