Re: gEDA-user: macosx (10.3) - pcb 1.99j - blank menu's / drawing

On Monday, November 10, 2003, at 09:52 PM, Mikey Sklar wrote:

I've been able to build and run gschem 20030901 fine on MAC OS/X (10.3).
Good deal! No dependency problems? (I noticed that you mentioned "fink -y install tcltk" below...)

However I've had a difficult time getting pcb 1.99j (20030815) to work
well with Panther.
Your subject line threw me off.

To avoid confusion, pcb 1.99j is the last one that worked for me, and the 20030815 snapshot didn't. I numbered it 1.99.20030815 because dpkg and fink consider that version to be after 1.99j in the sort order.

 Compiling by hand or with fink 0.6.1 works fine for
me. The pcb binary starts and I can see the pcb workspace and buttons.
Do you see any colors in the window?

If not, then I think you tripped over the same bug I saw; namely, the app defaults file (which specifies colors, mouse bindings, etc.) is getting overwritten by the app itself. I couldn't think of a good way around this, since the problem is due in part to the fact that Mac OS X HFS+ volumes can't store two files in the same directory whose names differ only in case.

other random notes:

5) fink index
   fink selfupdate
   fink update-all
not necessary to do the "fink index" -- "fink selfupdate" runs as root, so it will rebuild the index in memory and write it out (which ends up being faster).

no big thing.

   cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.ghz.cc:/home/cvsroot co fink-geda .
   ^C after fink info/patch files make it down
hmm, you needed to use ^C? Can you email me off-list with some details about when you tried this?

   cd fink-geda
   cvs update -r geda_20030901

7) Copy fink info and patch files to this directory:

   /sw/fink/dists/local/main/finkinfo/
I just did a "sudo chown -R $USER /sw/fink/dists/local" and checked out the info files there. That way, you can just use "cvs update" in that directory.

Another thing: you can do a "cvs update -A pcb.*" to pull the 'HEAD' revision of PCB (but keep the latest gEDA tools). That will get you PCB 1.99j

8) Make sure your gcc is 3.3 based.

   sudo gcc_select 3.3
I will put this in the .info files when I submit them to the Fink maintainers, but for now, the "gcc: 3.3" tag may break older fink package managers.

Thanks for your feedback.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple@ghz.cc